Hi guys, here are the recipes for the dinners I have listed for week 1 of our clean eating challenge that I’m hosting on my facebook page (Patty Jones Fitness). My intent was to post this there but I am haviong facebook problems this morning so here it is, many of these recipes have already been posted on this blog also so if you type in the search bar on the right it should be able to bring up most of them if you want pictures to go with the directions.
let me know if you have questions!
CLEAN EATING DINNER RECIPES
- 1 1/2 tsp.Olive Oil
- 2 MediumPeppers, (cut into strips)
- 1 MediumOnion, sliced
- 2 Clovesgarlic, finely chopped
- 1 lbraw extra-lean beef sirloin or flank steak, cut into 2-inch strips
- 1 tsp.ground chili powder
- 1 tsp.ground cumin
- 1 tsp.crushed red pepper flakes
- 1/2 tsp.sea salt (or Kosher salt)
- 86-inch homemade tortillas, warm
- 4 Tbsp.non fat plain Greek yogurt
- 1/4 cupchopped fresh cilantro
- Lime wedges
- Heat oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat.
- Add bell peppers and onion; cook, stirring occasionally, for 5-6 minutes, or until onion is translucent and peppers are tender.
- Add garlic; cook, stirring frequently, for 1 minute.
- Add beef, chili powder, cumin, pepper flakes, and salt; cook, stirring occasionally, for 7 to 8 minutes, or until meat is no longer pink.
- Evenly top each tortilla with beef mixture, yogurt, cilantro, and a squeeze of lime juice.
Turkey Taco Soup:
- 1 lb Ground Turkey
- 2 cans organic diced tomatoes,
- 1 can drained corn,
- 1 can drained and rinsed black beans,
- 3 chopped green chilis (or one can),
- chopped green bell pepper and about
- 1/2 cup chicken stock (or more depending on how thick of a soup you want)
- then season with cumin,
- onion powder,
- garlic powder
- red pepper flakes and
- chili powder to taste.
Brown the ground meat of choice with a diced up onion and then place in slow cooker with the remaining ingredients and cook on low 6-8 hours or high for 4. You can do this in a pot on the stove in less time but I use this recipe on nights when I am not home most of the day or when I am working in the evening so dinner is ready when my husband gets home with the kids.
- 1 pound boneless skinless chicken breast
- 1/4 C EVOO
- 1 large lemon (juice and zest)
- 3 cloves of garlic
- 1/4 tsp red pepper flakes
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tbsp Cumin
- 2-3 medium zucchini
Zest the whole lemon into the olive oil and then add in the juice from the lemon
make sure to squeeze it good- the more lemon the better I say!
(it should yield you about 1/4 cup of lemon juice
if your lemon is very small I would use 2)
Whisk the oil and lemon together and mince the garlic
(if 3 is too much garlic for you or your cloves are large only use 2)
Add the minced garlic, cumin, salt and red pepper flakes and mix it well.
Pour marinade over the chicken then cover and refrigerate it
for at least 4 hours.
When you are ready to cook the chicken, discard the marinade and grill the chicken
or cook in a frying pan for about 5 minutes/sideor until it is cooked through.
To make the zucchini noodles use a vegetti or spiralizer or just use the thin slicer side on a box grater to make thin long strips, toss the strips with a touch or olive oil and quickly stir around in the hot pan. Just long enough to warm it, if you cook it too long it releases the water from the veggie and becomes mushy and wet which is not what you want at all
- 2 cups romaine or leaf lettuce, chopped
- 2/3 cup tomatoes, chopped
- 2/3 cup cucumbers, seeded and chopped
- 1/4 cup chopped red onion
- 4 slices bacon, chopped
- 2 hard boiled egg, chopped
- 1/2 cup avocado, chopped
- 5 tablespoons balsamic vinegar (or dressing you choose)
after everything is chopped toss together, drizzle with balsamic vinegar and serve. If you want more protein feel free to add some chopped cooked chicken breast to the top.
- 1 lb ground turkey
- handful of fresh basil chopped
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp Mediterranean seasoning
(McCormick used to make this but its now discontinued so a similar blend can be made yourself with:
3 TBSP dried rosemary, 2 TBSP ground Cumin, 2TBSP ground Coriander, 1TBSP, dried oregano and 2 tsp ground cinnamon. Mix the spoices well and store in a small container to be used as needed on anything from meats, and roasted potatoes to corn and black bean salad
for the how to make these check out the recipe on my blog and serve over warm brocolli slaw, brown or cauliflower rice or a bed of salad
Grilled Chicken and Vegetables
- 1 lb boneless skinless chicken breast
- any vegetables you like. We like zucchini, summer squash, bell peppers and onions
- extra virgin olive oil
- italion seasoning blend
- kosher salt and fresh ground black pepper
rinse and pat dry the chicken, feel free to pound it down a bit to help it cook evenly and sprinkle with salt and pepper adding some Italian seasoning if desired for a little extra flavor. Place the chicken on a hot grill and cook until the internal temp reaches 165 degrees (~6-8 minutes per side depending on thickness)
while the chicken is cooking slice veggies and lightly coat with olive oil and salt and pepper and place on grill for the last few minutes of the chickens cooking time in order to heat through. If the grill is too full you can always sauté thes eon the stovetop or pop them under the broiler in you oven for a few minutes until they get warm and brown on the edges.
Salsa Chicken and avocado cream:
- 1 lb boneless skinless chicken breast (2-4 breasts depending on how many people you are feeding)
- 1 container pico de gallo or fresh salsa
- 1 can drained and rinsed black beans
place chicken in your slow cooker, top with the drained and rinsed black beans and then the salsa close the slow cooker and heat on low for 4-6 hours, The chicken will fall apart after cooking stir it together and serve on its own, in lettuce wraprs, on homemade tortillas or over brown rice and top with avocado cream
for avocado cream:
- 1 ripe avocado
- ½ cup no fat plain greek yogurt
- juice of 1 lime
- kosher salt and fresh ground black pepper
Slice the avocado in half and remove the pit. Scoop the flesh into a food processor and add the yogurt, lime juice and a big pinch of salt and pepper. Blend until smooth.